Translate

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Into the great wide open

Split shot

Today a group of 5 of us paddled from Ferryland to Port Kerwin. It was a beautiful fall day. The road down the Southern Shore was ablaze in fall colours and I hit on the idea of taking a shot out the front windshield of the road ahead. Doing so I also caught myself in the rearview mirror which I thought gave an interesting picture. A little madcap; it was just the anticipation of a fall paddle and the hope of seeing the coast ablaze in the same colours.

Pete couldn't resist doing a bit of rock hopping

Leaving Ferryland it was calm but the marine forecast promised more. The whole coast was being hammered by the sizeable swell coming in from the North Atlantic. Pete did a bit of rock hopping before we swung to the left and further out. Sue commented she was going to tell Brenda ... no need to now Sue! Very impressive Pete. I'll wait another year before I try this with my new boat.

Brian approaching Aquaforte harbour

The slate grey rocks of the St. John's formation were our company all the way down the coast from Ferryland.

Brian and Pete with Spurwink Island in the background

We had to cross over the mouth of Aquaforte harbour on our way to Port Kerwin from Ferryland. Its not far but I was surprised how fast we had reached Aquaforte.

Sue and Dean cross the mouth of Aquaforte harbour

About a month ago we did a Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador Club paddle from the bottom of Aquaforte harbour out to and around Spurwink Island (above Dean in the yellw boat). We looked into the harbour at the falls and commented they had really swollen in the last month.

Dean, Sue and Brian looking "swell"

Paddling from Ferryland to Port Kerwin we were in the great wide open North Atlantic, to port was Ireland. The marine forecast was for swell of 2 - 3 metres and it was for the most part. Occasionally, the swell picked me up and took me to the fifth floor. I find it often difficult to capture the size of the swell in a picture.

We stayed offshore a considerable amount but the rebounding waves still reached us to make it interesting. Interesting also taking pictures while maintaining my balance.

Dean, Brian and Sue on a mountain of water

Every now and then there were times I felt like I was either on the roof of a 2 story house looking down on my paddle buddies or looking up from a deep valley. When that happenned I estimated the vertical distance to be close to 5 metres.

It was the first time Dean was out in these conditions but he was fine. He's been ever present at out St. Philips practice sessions but today he said it was a few notches up. He grows in large leaps because he's not afraid of much.

After an hour and forty minutes of swashbuckling paddling we reached Pot Kerwin and stopped for a snack break.

Here they are all together

After a snack break we paddled to the south side of Fermeuse harbour where Brain said there was a wreck. We had lots of time so we went to have a look.

Sue taking a peek

The hull here had been eaten away by the salt water but the ribs being thicker were slower to rust away. They look like teeth as Sue takes a peek at me in the mouth of the monster before the upper jaw clamps shut.

Dean with the windmills of Fermeuse

After hanging around the wreck awhile we crossed back over Fermeuse harbour to finish our paddle in Port Kerwin.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't paddled much with Peter Noel, but I have on several occasions with Brian Duffett. He's a very smooth, confident, capable paddler. One of the province's best.

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's certainly in that thin-air region of highly advanced paddlers and generous in sharing his expertise.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete