Translate

Monday, October 19, 2009

The charts don't lie

Weather charts from Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club

When I got home from our short paddle in Middle Cove on Saturday I was curious what the wind had done over the preceding hours. We had put-in in a 5 knt SW wind but was blowing hard on my drive home.

The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club has a web page that shows historical wind direction, wind speed, barometric reading and temperature. I was surprised by the steep increase in wind speed shortly after we took out. It was fortuitous that I suggested to Stan that I had enough. The increasing wind speed and swing in the wind from southwest to north would have made for a very tricky take-out on a dumping beach.

Stan was right about a lull in the storm; it was very brief.

3 comments:

  1. Yes Tony it was good to get off but we were already in Middle Cove and I don't think we would have had any problem landing if the wind were to have come up.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't miscalculate Stan as we were in MC so we would have gotten off in any case even if it would have been a bit trickier in the stronger wind. Might have been interesting!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yES tONY we might have been able to land on our roof racks! lol

    Always good paddling with you buddy even if I hogged a lot of shots that day. ;-), lol Still got to work on the video yet.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete