Translate

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day paddle?

Malcolm reverse seal launches

Yesterday the winds were 50 kms gusting to 70 NW and Conception Bay was a boiling cauldron of froth. I looked at the map and suggested to Malcolm that Holyrood Bay would be an option as we would be protected from the wind under the cliffs and we could venture out into the bay to tailor the winds to our liking. Its only a 30 minute drive so close enough for a couple of hours in the kayaks.

We put-in and paddled into the wind for 20 minutes or so until we got in under the hills. Then we paddled along the cliffs for a bit. I thought I was getting Malcolm into a "day paddle"; he even made a comment to the effect. Not going to happen. We stopped to consult. Malcolm said lets practice paddle strokes by paddling boxes. I said great, I'll follow you eager to see how skillful he was in turning into the wind and hoping to learn something.

Well, he did it effortlessly. I struggled to duplicate his crisp turns. Why? He has gotten propper instruction, he's practiced and he's meticulous in his practice. Myself, I've concentrated on developing a sense of ease and comfort in conditions in a new boat.

I've practiced turns in calm conditions on a pond. I need to move that up a notch now to more demanding conditions. Malcolm gave me some corrections I had to make and the example of what is possible when you apply yourself. Many thanks Malcolm, I will improve.

2 comments:

  1. Tony, You're being too modest about your own abilities and too generous concerning mine. There are many parallels between your paddling and Des's. Both of you are remarkably steady in rough conditions. As well, you both effectively control your kayak, making it go where you want it to go. Finally, you both have good speed, which is quite important. However, both of you could gain in efficiency by refining your technique (like turning) and in seamanship by extending your knowledge of meteorology, sea states, etc. That said, over the past couple of weeks I've been greatly impressed by your practical ability in a kayak. There aren't many paddlers in KNL that I would have gone to Small Point with or to The Cape when we did recently. My congratulations on your ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Malcolm but in wind my turns are poorly executed. I rely too much on brute force and ignorance. But that's alright, I know it needs improvement and that's the first step. There's no getting better if I delude myself into thinking I've arrived.

    Paddling with experienced paddlers like yourself is a bit like "the Emperor has no clothes".

    Tony ;-)

    ReplyDelete