Translate

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dealing with wind

Clyde paddling into Bay Bulls into the wind

The first time I had a paddle on the ocean 5 years ago I had a slog into a 40 km/hr wind of about 5 kms. The second time it was into a 50 km/hr wind though it was a shorter distance. I hated it and I recall saying that to myself.

If I paddled only on calm days I wouldn't paddle much. The wind is pretty much a constant; the only thing is how hard it blows. So, deal with it.

On that first day I could only fix on the destination and how long I'd have to keep paddling to get back. Since then, after many days in the wind I've changed my view. It was a Sunday last year when that changed for good. Stan and myself paddled to Bell Island in calm winds. The wind came up and we had a 5 km slog back into 40 km/hr winds and 1 m wind waves. Stan charged ahead. I just got into a rhythm and paddled at my rate. I enjoyed it, paddling in the moment.

Now, in wind, I don't fixate on the destination. I just enjoy the paddle one paddle stroke after another. Eventually, after enough strokes, I'll reach the take-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment