Life is good and don't forget it!
End of the year and tomorrow is a new year. Its only another day but I guess at some point we have to take stock and see where we are and where we're going. December 31 is inventory day, a day of retrospection.
Retrospection can be pleasant survey of the past years events or it can instill a melancholy feeling if you live in the past, the loss of another year. I like to live in the present with a hopeful eye on the future. But, I am going to look back and for one reason - 2008 was such a fantastic year that making a list makes me think of what I have to look forward to in 2009.
Here are my 2008 paddling highlights:
1. Paddling with Stan generally - a good friend with the same mindset.
2. First overnight kayak camping trip to Tickles - see www.kayakers.nf.ca for outdoor sauna instructions.
3. Kayaking with whales in Mobile Bay - got to get you some whales next year Stan.
4. Practice sessions in conditions started by Graham Openshaw.
5. Rounding my first cape - Cape St. Francis.
6. Rolling in the middle of Conception Bay in the shadow of a tanker.
7. Surfing at Chance Cove - need to do this more often.
8. Crossing from St. Philips to Bell Island.
9. Beach cleanup at Trinny Cove, Placentia Bay.
10. Volunteering at Kids Day at Long Pond.
It can only get better.
Happy New Year to everyone in the paddling community all over the world and paddle safely in 2009.
5 hours ago