Translate

Sunday, December 13, 2009

A tradition

Sister Kathy with this years Christmas tree

One of our traditions is going into the woods to cut a fresh tree for Christmas.

I drove by St. Philips harbour to see if my paddling friends were going to put-in (and they did) because it was snowing and fairly windy. But daughter Aimee had just moved into her own home and she need a tree for a gathering she was having today so I had to pass on paddling and I went to harvest a couple of trees on my sister's land.

It had been farmed 20 years ago and there was an abundance of new growth trees. It didn't take us long before we had our trees cut.

I have the beast by the throat

I've cut a tree every year for 33 years and we had a natural tree when I lived home. I wonder if I've done the right thing? Especially now with global warming and the carbon sink the tree would have represented.

Dragging the slain tree home

So, I took the tree home but I'll reflect on whether I'll continue the tradition next year. Would an artificial tree be more environmentally friendly? There are issues like the energy put into making an artificial tree and the energy to cut a natural tree. I'll research that option or consider planting 2 trees for the tree I cut.

But, it was an exhilerating couple of hours in the snow outdoors.

1 comment:

  1. Good on your for sticking to tradition. We managed to get ours on Saturday. Nothing like the smell of a real tree in the house for Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete