Translate

Monday, December 28, 2009

Top 10 paddles of 2009 - #4

Stan on his way to Great Island

Great Island is part of the seabird sanctuary off of Tors Cove and area. Its one of the places I hoped I would one day be able to paddle. As a newbie, I thought places like this were the domain of advanced paddlers. Making it on April 25 puts the paddle at #4 (though I don't claim to be an advanced paddler) just because I did it. It was more about satisfying a goal.

It was also an eye-opening experience for me. After stopping at Ship Island for lunch I went ahead thinking we were going to paddle around it. After 10 minutes or so things were a bit too quiet so I looked around. I was by myself and everyone else looked like specks on the horizon. I was effectively doing this part of the paddle solo. A moment of panic in the 2 metre swells before I accepted it for what it was, settled down and paddled comfortably back to the put-in. A realization that I can be self-reliant.

Brian in his office

A 2 to 3 metre swell was running. On the left side of the picture, water draining off the rocks gives an idea of wave action.

Paddlers disappeared and reappeared amidst the swell

The swell on this day didn't allow for passage through the arch but on my second paddle here later in the summer a few did go through.

Lumpy water coming in

Though the water was lumpy, it was mild compared to outside of the island. Inside there was a bit of protection from the North Atlantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment