Translate

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Home sweet home

Returning to St. Philips harbour

In my former working life I loved coming home. Not because I hated work but I just loved coming home. I didn't want to make stops to run errands, I just wanted to get home. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. A place of refuge from the world where we can kick off our shoes and do our own thing.

On Monday Kees and I paddled from St. Philips to Topsail beach and back, a distance of 13 kms in total. Not a long paddle but refreshing in the cool "winter" air. We took our time checking out the scenery and taking pictures on the way up but still made 6.0 kms/hr.

On the way back to St. Philips I didn't stop for pictures but I had a relaxing paddle back. I didn't come close to putting the hammer down but still made a speed of 7.8 kms/hr. I put it down to a freshness in my paddle strokes because I hadn't been on the water in almost 2 weeks.

Like any paddle, ya got to come home, back to the put-in. Home with a feeling of satisfaction of another great day on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment