Translate

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Top 10 paddles of 2009 - #9

Stan in Placentia Bay

I've had many great paddles this year and its hard to pick the best 10 but there's something that lingers about each one. In this case, it was doing a crossing to the Iona Islands from Long Harbour with Stan on April 10.

There's something about doing a crossing, paddling across an expanse of water and watching the destination creep closer and closer. I like the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere and looking back to where I came from. Its not a route that's frequently paddled but I highly recommend it to my fellow kayakers.

Looking back towards Long Harbour

3 comments:

  1. making a big crossing is how I find to get rid of people back home.

    This summer I'm going to cross back to my resettled town of haystack on Long island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Haystack in Placentia Bay? My wife's Aunt Hilda (nee Burton) is from Haystack.

    A tour of Placentia Bay is on my list of things to do. Never enough time!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup that's the one! That archipelago would provide quite the week long trip for sure. I know a few people who charter a boat for the reunion, which would be a option instead of that crossing.

    I hear yah on the time. I keep saying every year I'm going to go over and never do make it.

    I'm a Gilbert from haystack stock.

    Small world yet again!

    ReplyDelete