Translate

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Russian roulette

Foxtrap Marina in the dead of winter

Last night Malcolm did a presentation for members of Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador. It was called "Special problems of sea kayaking in Newfoundland". The problems addressed were: cold water, variable conditions, few landing sites, little boat traffic, unfamiliar coastlines and the unforgiving sea. Certainly, some of these issues are common to other areas but the constant cold ocean waters compound the other issues. Make a mistake and the sea is unforgiving.

The key to safe kayaking in these circumstances is to know the dangers, research weather and sea state and exercise sound judgement before putting in.

I occasionally paddle alone in winter; I know I shouldn't. Why? The chance of good weather on the weekend is 2 in 7 so I feel compelled to make hay while the sun shines. This year I have other options to have company so I'll do less solo paddling but if I do I'll pick my day and a safe location. After all, I want to be able to paddle tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting picture. So many boats in "drydock", yet you are able to paddle on.
    Looks likes a great day for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Clyde. Got to pick the calm days for solo paddling this time of year but they are few, far and in between.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete