Translate

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Odd places to paddle

Erin practices a scramble on self-rescue

Yesterday I did a 3 hour paddle at the doctor's office. I had to go to see him because I needed a slip for bloodwork and I knew it would be a bit of a wait so I took John Lull's book "Sea Kayaking - Safety and Rescue" to read while waiting.

I've read through the book before and read most chapters more than once. Now, I have it almost memorized. Of course, reading and doing are two separate things and that's why practice is so important. Learning in the pool is one thing but it must be followed up with practice and application in realistic conditions.

I found the 3 hour paddle tiring as I checked the time off and on. On the plus side it brought a lot of things back to mind and I formed a mental checklist of things I want to practice. A 3 hour paddle on a good day is a joy but in a doctor's office - maybe I need to find another place to paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment