Translate

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blizzard warning

Snow and plenty of it

Friday we got a taste of snow after a spell of cold, windy but dry weather. A winter blizzard dropped 45 cms of snow that was whipped around by wind gusts up to 90 kms/hr. It had pretty much blown itself out Saturday morning so it was out to clean up the mess. I was greeted with snow drifts over a metre high that looked like they tried their best to hide my car.

I spent the best part of the day clearing away the snow all the while contemplating whether I'd go to a scheduled pool session. The prospect for getting out for a saltwater paddle didn't look good so it was settle for comfort.

Balmy conditions inside

So I got myself and boat to the Aquarena. In the Aquarena the conditions were steamy compared to snowtown outside as my glasses fogged up, a far cry from some of the winter paddling I've done so far this year.

Neil hosted a Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador pool session called "You can't do that in a kayak". It was just about goofing around and thinking outside the box as we tried different things that Neil had dreamed up.

I'm not a big fan of pool sessions because it involves, for me, almost more effort than its worth. But I went as it was an opportunity to learn something - and I did. The hardest lesson learned? Bring a towel to dry off after the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment