Translate

Friday, February 26, 2010

Kayak Bill

Moonlight Wave by Bill Davidson

My Kayak Bill print of "Moonlight Wave" arrived yesterday amid great anticipation. Above is an oblique shot to avoid copyright infringement but you can see it and other wonderful prints at the Kayak Bill prints website. Its honestly worth having a look.

I came across Kayak Bill in an back issue of Sea Kayaker magazine that I got from Dan. I was immediately captivated by the story. Kayak Bill was "a reclusive kayaker [who] made his home among the islands of British Columbia's Pacific coast and left only fleeting glimpses of his life and death." That pretty much sums up the article. There's not enough room on my blog to get into further detail but you can read an on-line article from October 2005 on Sea Kayaker website. Its really worth the time to take a read.

If the links don't work you can Google "Kayak Bill".

I've always been drawn to these stories of people living on the fringes of society, being self-sufficient. Maybe I have that longing too but don't have the courage to act on it. That's why kayak camping is so compelling, I can somewhat satisfy the wilderness feeling and come back to the comforts of society. But I admire those people like Kayak Bill who do live by their convictions.

The magazine article had a couple of examples of Bill's art and I had to have a print. Its unique and beautiful work but more than anything, I had to have one for what it represents. I can't wait to get it framed and hung so that I'm reminded everyday.

7 comments:

  1. Nice buy Tony. I've been debating buying a print myself for a while.

    I was told about kayak bill back when Iwas following Dan Freindly. Not quite the same as Bill however another interesting character none the less.

    http://awholebunchofings.blogspot.com/2010/01/dan-friendly-vol2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lee, it was something I just had to buy after reading the magazine article and the on-line item (they're different). One of a kind artwork by one interesting character.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I can't read your comment but I hope you checked out the other site with the prints and article. And, I hope you'll visit again and enjoy my kayaking experiences.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tony
    Unfortunatly after you bought your print we decided to drop the kayakbillprints.com web site as there hasn't been much traffic. If people are still interested in ordering a print they can contact Wes directly at kayakbillprints@gmail.com
    Thanks for your blog post and glad you like the print!
    Lori(Wes' mom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony,
    I was drawn to your blog by the Kayak Bill post. You may be interested in a series of posts that I am doing on my blog regarding Kayak Bill camps on the Central and North BC coast. There are 7 KB posts so far with more to come. Lot's of trip reports and articles you may like. Take a look.

    http://3meterswell.blogspot.com/2017/10/kayak-bill-camps-introduction.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely interested in your posts and thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

      Delete