Translate

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Theory of seeing

Cliffs in Outer Cove

There's a big difference between looking and seeing. I often have to "look" for things I need when I don't know exactly where I left them. But, I often don't "see" them even though I'm looking straight where I should be. Haste may be a factor.

So it was on a recent paddle I did in Outer Cove, Newfoundland. I snapped this picture because I wanted to capture the ice along the coast. After I got home and downloaded the pictures from my camera I saw something I missed as I was looking more so at the ice.

I've paddled here once before and also missed it. If you enlarge the picture you'll see ripple marks on the rocks in the cliff. I totally missed this before.

These rocks are black slates of the St. John's formation that underlie the red sandstones and conglomerates at Signal Hill and along the coast north. They were deposited in waters that were getting shallower and the action of the water made these ripple marks. More material was deposited on top, formed into rock, uplifted, tilted and eroded. I'm not sure about the age but these rocks would be older than 543 million years.

Its interesting what can be found when you "see" versus "look".

Tony :-)

1 comment: