Translate

Monday, April 13, 2009

Theory of liberation

Stan in the middle of nowhere

On Friday past Stan and myself paddled to the Iona Islands in Placentia Bay, Newfoundland from Mount Arlington Heights. Its almost a 7 kms crossing excluding Shag Rocks which we paddled past on the way. Its effectively a full 7 kms crossing as there's nowhere to land on Shag Rocks.

Its not a long crossing by any stretch of the imagination as the furthest you can be from land is 3.5 kms. But out in the middle of the bay I just felt totally liberated. No noise, only the sounds of silence.

I enjoy paddling along shore but paddling there is something like walking with crutches. Doing a crossing of any length I feel is akin to throwing away the crutches and setting myself free. Its another aspect of kayaking like paddling in big waterthat deserves checking out and this coming year I expect I will. I see a 20 - 25 kms crossing in my future and I shall slip the surly bonds of the land.

Tony :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment