Translate

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Theory of the panic button

Corey leading the way to Great Island

Here, Corey looks like he's out for a paddle by himself but there were 9 other paddling companions nearby. But, just because you have paddling companions doesn't mean you're not alone.

After lunch break on Ship Island on Saturday, I misread what the plan was and paddled ahead of the group and after some time looked behind to see where everyone was. Oops, stupid me, the rest were just specks on the horizon going the other way. I had a momentary sense of panic because I knew that if I got into a pickle I'd be on my own to figure it out.

I turned and gave chase and quickly realized that this presented a learning opportunity. I wouldn't be out here by myself by choice but given that this was what it was, I calmed myself and actually reveled in the circumstance. Hitting the panic button would only have caused me to tense up where it was necessary to stay loose.

Its a mental game and there is no such thing as a panic button. If you think there is, you better leave it on the beach.

Tony :-)

Stan and myself were talking about how hard it is sometimes to capture the feeling of the sea state in bigger water. The paddler either disappears behind the wave, as in this shot, or the size of the wave is difficult to see without a point of reference. On top of that, concentrating on staying upright.

This picture comes close to the sea state off of Southern Head on Great Island.

Brian paddling in active water off of Ship Island. Its is said that elite athletes see things in slow motion. That's why people like Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan dominated their respective games. While spectators and team mates see a flurry of activity, Gretzky and Jordan make it look easy. So does Brian. Paddling into wind, surf or big water, Brian looks like he's hardly working - another day at the office. I watch and hope to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Tony for keeping the wits about ya. I wouldn't have doubted that at anyrate. Maybe a buddy mentality in a group paddle is sensible, even if to just let the other know where one is off to. Simple, secure.

    Nice Shots. I like the title shot.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would work Stan but in this case it was my fault, I should have checked around me more often.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete