Translate

Friday, April 3, 2009

Theory of beauty

The old and new bridges over the Colinet River above the falls

Most people would be familiar with the expression "beauty is only skin deep". That sort of applies to this area of St. Mary's Bay in Newfoundland. Newfoundland has many scenic paddling destinations where you can paddle with sea stacks, rocks and cliffs of all kinds of formations and caves and beaches. This area of St. Mary's Bay doesn't have any of that but still has something to offer the paddler.

Paddling out of Colinet and all the way up to and in Pinchgut Tickle the water is low and clear. If you take the time to look into the water you can see fields of eel grass, seaweed (sorry, don't know the name) growing up from the bottom and mussel beds. If you care to look you can find something of beauty anywhere.

Today Brian Duffett, Dan Miller and Ralph Smith and I started with a paddle to the falls on the Colinet River, saw a moose crossing Pinchgut Tickle and enjoyed the first hints of spring. Beauty they also say is in the eye of the beholder.

Tony :-)

After having a look at the falls on the Colinet River we paddled back out of the river mouth and made for Pinchgut Tickle. I decided to snap a few shots here because I knew I wouldn't get a chance once we got into the wind. These 3 guys are strong paddlers and they would have been over the horizon before I'd be able to get the camera out! OK, that's a stretch but I'd have a slog to catch up after.

And, yes, I was out with 3 paddlers today other than Stan! I started my blog after I bought an Olympus Stylus 850 SW late last year and since then, if you've been visiting, it seems it was only Stan and myself paddling. There'll be more paddlers out as the season warms; we have a very active club of kayakers with almost 200 paddlers.

Stopped for lunch and a break. We had a good paddle into what I estimate at 30 kms/hr winds with gusts to 40. Brian said we were making 4 knts into the wind so I guess we needed to fuel up and deserved a break.

Paddling out of Pinchgut Tickle back to Colinet. We had the wind at our backs and got in some mini-surfs.

No comments:

Post a Comment