Translate

Monday, November 10, 2008

Theory of Sacrifice


Stan watching the MV Flanders preparing to dock in Portugal Cove

Sacrifice is from the Latin meaning to make sacred. Sacrifice varies from food and animal offerings to the gods to, in the extreme, human sacrifice. In recognition of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many in wars, for the purpose of this blog entry, sacrifice will mean the giving of one's own life for a greater good.

Its easy in the everyday hustle and bustle of life to forget the ultimate sacrifice made by soldiers and others who fought to keep us free. No one of course keeps that on their mind daily. But, there is one day set aside to reflect and to remember.

I don't just think of the men and women but think of what they gave up. I think of what I would have given up, that I now have, had I been killed in battle at a young age. No family, friends, sunsets, days out in the kayak and on and on.

I took the picture of Stan and the MV Flanders on this past Saturday and knew that would be the subject of a blog of remembrance. The Flanders is of course named for that famous field where "poppies blow, row on row". Also in the Province of Newfoundland's fleet of ferries is the Beaumont Hamel. Newfoundland lost a significant number of the cream of its population and remembers by the naming of these vessels and other ways.

I spent a few hours in a war cemetary in Arnhem (of a bridge too far fame) many years ago. I remember that visit every year and tomorrow on the 11th of November I will keep sacred the memories of those soldiers and the ultimate sacrifice they made.

Tony

1 comment:

  1. Lest we forget Tony! My granddad died in the Merchant Marines during World War 11. HAd uncles fought in Italy and nephews that currently serve in the Air force and Navy and a son who will enlist in January. I believe these people have a higher calling and a desire to do a bit more for the common good of their fellow country men and women and I too on this 11th of Novemeber will remember the fallen, the vets, and the soldiers of today....and tomorrow. We must.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete