Translate

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Theory of rust and dust


RIP in Tickles

I took this picture at Tickles in June where a group of Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador members completed an overnight camping trip. Tickles is an abandoned community that has one house left standing. The old rusted truck looked like an interesting subject.

The picture came back to mind after the recent passing of my Dad.

At the time I took the picture, I thought how handsome the truck must have been when it was new. It must have been a source of immense pride for the owner. And, I wondered how much work it had done for its owner. Now it sits in Tickles rusting away, returning to nature.

That rusty old truck struck me as such a metaphor for human life. When you're young there's so much promise and vitality. Hard work and the passage of time takes its toll over the years. Before you realize it, as the clock ticks on, you're the truck. Dad passed away on October 18 at 83 years of age.

There is of course a difference; Dad won't be forgotten and left adandoned to rust. And, this rust and dust will be part of another world after our sun goes supernova.

Tony

2 comments:

  1. Love the name of this site Tony. I can tell you're going to have some interesting theories to relate. All the best, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison. Just lept into this with a little encouragement from Stan. The pressure is on now that I've started it! Hopefully, anyone who ventures by will enjoy the pics and the commentary.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete