Translate

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Theory of Sustenance

Salvia and Monarda are all that's left of our flower garden sticking thru the snow

Sustenance is the word we use to describe our need for food to survive.

Over the last 2 days we've had our first substantive taste of winter and it appears that the season for homo sapiens kayakerious newfoundlandus is drawing to a close for this year. I'd like to get out today, even Topsail Pond, but it doesn't look good. Temps last night -12 C with wind chill of -27 C; temp today -7 C.

Reflecting on that, I think about the people who gave us the kayak in the first place, the Inuit. They didn't have the luxury of deciding "Ah, I won't go kayaking today". They had no choice. If they wanted to eat they had to get out. One image I have is of a show on the tube I've seen, of an Inuit sitting silently for hours in his kayak, in a polynia waiting for a narwhal to surface. The slightest of sound and the prey that surfaces is gone. Hours of waiting wasted and no prospect for another chance.

Things have changed today but I respect those people of days gone by and count myself lucky to be able to make a choice. Today, I'll still venture out but in search of the perfect Christmas tree. But, I will promise myself to get out some bitter cold day this winter just for the experience and sustenance of my soul.

Tony :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment