Translate

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Theory of practice





Brian Duffett catching a wave








Ralph Smith motoring by









Pete Noel with the Bell Island ferry in the background

The theory of practice is that if you do something over and over, you'll improve or master the activity. Today Brian Duffett, Peter Noel, Ralph Smith and myself had a more or less practice session in St. Philips. Well, OK, on this day and this group the theory of practice applied only to me. Brian and Pete make it look just so easy and Ralph is also pretty accomplished with his Paddle Canada Level II certification.

The wind was blowing upwards of 40 kms/hr with wind waves between 1 and almost 2 metres at times. The plan was to paddle from St. Philips up the coast towards Topsail into the wind and then surf back. After paddling for a while we decided to turn around and head back to St. Philips and do some surfing in the cove. This is where it was evident to me that I need more practice paddling in a quartering sea . Nigel Foster in the article (Sea Kayaker; June 1995) "Technical Nuances for Cruising in Wind" states: "Paddling with a following sea can be your greatest delight or your wildest nightmare ...". Today was not a nightmare, so its getting better as I weathercocked less and had some good stretches where I felt I had control of the boat.

Improving yes, mastery, we'll see!

Tony :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great shots Tony. Glad ya had a successful day on the water. MAybe next time.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really nervous about taking pictures in the conditions. I have to find my paddle leash so I don't have to worry about the paddle. and, the neoprene mitts don't help with finding the small power button and adjusting settings. I think you would have enjoyed yesterday but there'll be more days - like next weekend.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete