Translate

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Theory of Weather



Stan making headway near Portugal Cove










"Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain ..."

In my book there are two theories of weather. The first, is that the uneven heating of the earth's surface by the sun causes areas of cooler dense air and warmer lighter air. As the atmosphere wants to reach a state of equilibrium, the air moving to reach that state causes wind, clouds, rain, etc. The second theory states that if its wet or cold miserable weather outside, its best to stay indoors and stay comfortable.

Well, in Newfoundland, if we subscribed to the second theory, we'd spend too much time looking out the window lamenting about the weather.

The beauty of seakayaking is that, if you're dressed for cold water immersion, a bit of rain is not going to cause undue hardship. With that in mind, Stan and myself paddled from St. Philips, past Portugal Cove and just past the waterfalls near Bauline.

Calm water and showers on the way down. An unexpected whale swam under us, surfaced for air and continued down the bay. There was enough swell to make rock hopping interesting or dicey. I passed on dicey, I didn't want to impose on Stan in case I got into trouble.

Lunch in Portugal Cove and a stiffening wind and waves on the way back to St. Philips made for a day of a bit of everything - except sunshine.

As for the theory of weather, the forecasting of that is, is all hot air and can't usually be trusted. That is something seakayakers in Newfoundland have learned to live with.

Tony :-)

3 comments:

  1. "The second theory states that if its wet or cold miserable weather outside, its best to stay indoors and stay comfortable."

    As someone who writes professionally about the climate (which is different from the weather...the latter being something happening right now), I just want to commend you on what is one of the wisest responses to the "question" of the weather I have read in a very long time.

    Enjoyed visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony I love your unshakeable wisedom. I love paddling in all weather and all is made that much more enjoyable with the company to be had. And Tony you would never be imposing on me. If I had to I'd be there to help come hell or high water, excuse the pun.lol I would trust your skills though.


    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Alan, I'm flabbergasted that someone as learned as yourself in the topic would view my comment as wise. Thanks. I thought about it as common sense, but then again common sense is not all that common!

    And Stan, its good to push the envelope but I'm wise enough to know my limits. As to possible rescue I'm reminded of the phrase "a friend in need is a freind indeed". Thanks for the vote of confidence and the excellent company yesterday.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete