Translate

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Theory of barnacles


Stan trying out Malcolm's Nordkapp

Barnacles are encrusters, that is, they attach themselves to hard surfaces. They are immobile except when they're lucky enough to attach themselves to a ship's hull; then they become world travellers. Otherwise, they're lot in life is set, unable to do anything for themselves and no chance to expand their horizons. Some people I think are like barnacles. They get comfortable in their situation and just can't get out of the rut and try new things and new challenges.

Not Stan. Today, in Torbay, Stan tried on Malcolm's Nordkapp in the company of Malcolm, Ian, Jonathan and myself. There was a bit of apprehension - how would it handle compared to the poly boat? What about stability? Stan has been paddling for about 10 years, so this might not be such a big challenge ;-) and it showed. No problem and Nordkapp has a convert.

And I get a chance to put a pic of Stan on my blog, which of course is a change!

Tony :-)

2 comments:

  1. Tony it sure was a wicked day. I am convinced I like this boat and I feel honored to be mentioned on your blog. It is always inspiring and just plain fun paddling with a person and good friend with such a wonderful outlook on life. I hope we have many more.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feeling is completely mutual Stan. I'm worried though. If you get the Nordkapp I might have to grow barnacles on it to slow you down *lol*

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete