Translate

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Theory of Comparison



Stan in Malcolm's Nordkapp HS









Malcolm in his new Nordkapp LV







Malcolm and Stan switching boats


My theory of comparison deals with the similar or dis-similar properties of two or more things and how the they are rated by the person doing an assessment of desireability. You can compare items for their physical properties, such as cars. You can compare similar items for price when sold at different stores. You can even compare apples to oranges if you're comparing for preference. Why not? Some people do prefer apples to oranges!

On Saturday Malcolm Rowe, Stan MacKenzie and myself set off for Brigus South (about 45 minute drives south of St. John's, Newfoundland) to do a comparison of two Nordkapps which Malcolm owns. Malcolm recently bought a new Nordkapp LV and wanted to do a comparison with his older HS boat. The plan was for Malcolm to paddle his LV while Stan paddled the HS and then switch and compare notes. The conclusion? Both Malcolm and Stan agreed there wasn't much difference in the handling of both boats even though there were small differences between them.

I was the odd man out as I was in a Necky Looksha IV. Boy, this is where it gets dangerous for me to apply the theory of comparison. It would be easy to get tempted into buying a Nordkapp. But, for now I prefer apples and I think I'll stick with my Necky.

Tony :-)

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya Tony, I am just disappointed you didn't try either one. I think in our excitement and the impromtu visit by hikers we got all discomebobulated. You'll certainly be trying mine when I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Stan, are you try to tempt me? Too, the Minister of Finance, for this household, may not allow for that in the budget.

    I would have like to try it even just for the test of my ability to stay upright. There'll be other opportunities to try more advanced boats.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be wrong, but I believe these two Nordkapps share the same hull. It's the deck that has been lowered on the LV, so I wouldn't think there'd be much difference in the handling, only the space inside.

    ReplyDelete