Translate

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The smallest details

New under deck pump installation

The smallest details are often the most important.

Thursday I rigged this up to store my pump under the deck. I tested it out with the boat sitting on the backyard grass, bare hands, no gloves. Worked great!

Thursday evening I wanted to make sure that I could easily retrieve and restore the pump after use on the water, with neoprene mitts on. I was wise to test it because there was a little bit of a difference even in calm conditions. I wouldn't want to retrieve the pump for the first time when I needed to and find myself fumbling to get it out. Those are the small details that have to be checked and practiced, not just paddle strokes and rescues.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Tony, I have a similar set up for my boat...works great, i like keeping my deck as clear as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working on a system to mount my pump under the deck as well. The prototype involved the use of a self adhesive velcro tab but I first tried it in the winter and I think the extreme cold caused the adhesive to fail!! Seeing your work, Tony, makes me want to rethink my idea. I made a clip from a piece of PVC that the pump snaps into - all I have to do is figure out a way to attach the clip to the underside of the deck!! The system is so simple to make and use - even with gloves on. It's very secure as well. I guess Goop is an option but I'm still not sure if there's enough room under my deck. A little more testing is in the works, I guess.

    Cheers,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I remember seeing your post on same topic. I'm looking at more options to store stuff in the cockpit in front of the foot pegs and behind the seat. Those clips don't add any weight either.

    Sean, there's always an application for PVC pipe and knowing you, you'll find it!!! Be interesting to see what you come up with.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete