Translate

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Paddling overhead

Getting ready for a club paddle

Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador is a club dedicated to skills development and safety through kayaking activities for its members. I joined the club because I wanted to meet people who I could paddle with and I've been fortunate in that regard. I've gotten a great deal from the club so I've also given back. I've been on the Board of Directors for 4 years and the last 2 I've been club Treasurer.

It takes time to fulfill these responsibilities. Monday, 2.5 hours to submit a claim for expenses related to a cost shared initiative with Transport Canada's Office of Boating Safety and 1.5 hours to meet to discuss matters related to club membership. Tuesday, 1 hour to prepare for completion of year end financial statements. Wednesday, 1.5 hours to do the bank deposit and carry forward membership for 2010 - 2011 year.

This cuts into time for personal responsibilities and paddling time. When I'm under time pressures I question the commitment but if someone doesn't step forward it will be difficult for other future paddlers entering the sport to find paddle partners to kayak safely. I've benefited from the efforts of past Board members so I chalk it up to paddling overhead. And, its worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment