Translate

Friday, February 18, 2011

Rear view mirror

Once upon a time
(fr. pic by T. Lee of www.kayaktherock.com)

This is a shot taken from one of my first few forays upon the sea, in 2005 I think. I was as green as could be with no training but all nerve. It was good fun but I relied more on my athleticism than on ability and luckily I didn't cause anyone any grief by having to fish me out of the water.

Then, three years ago, Graham organized practices at St. Philips for Level II kayakers. I wasn't near that at the time but as bold as brass, I went anyway. I was really pushing the envelope and probably imposing somewhat.

That was a turning point for me really. I still haven't taken a course but I've incrementally developed what skills I have by doing. I think that carries more credit than a piece of paper. I know lots of intelligent people that score well on exams but have no practical aptitude what-so-ever.

Looking back and thinking of the first couple of years, I hardly recognize myself today, though I still have some way to go.

4 comments:

  1. true, practical aptitudes are needed for enjoy the theory

    wonderful the image in the blog header (I'm looking forward to visit your country, alas not this year. meanwhile I enjoy the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoy the pictures, that's the whole idea behind my blog.

    Maybe you'll be able to arrange a visit in the near future and if you come to Newfoundland, let me know to arrange a paddle or something.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post tony and I couldnt agree more.

    "Indeed, a sense of misplaced confidence frequently develops among those who have been certified to teach or guide, since curriculum content often replaces real experience."


    his opinion, educating paddlers is critical to maintaining the freedom sea kayakers now enjoy. "The regulation of sea kayaking would limit its appeal and freedoms," he says. "Kayaking is all about freedom."

    John Dowd

    Thas one thing I like about our club (TK2O) is that it isnt driven by paddle canada requirements (i.e club trips for level 2 paddlers and above etc). Just friends paddling. The way all clubs should be

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lee, great quote from John Dowd. I will paddle with anyone on a calm day. When we venture into more challenging conditions I don't care if someone is Level 99, I want to see beforehand how they handle themselves in a kayak.

    Interesting comment on the club thing, got to think on that and maybe a good subject for future post.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete