Translate

Friday, February 4, 2011

Crossing thresholds

Chimney Rock

I remember one Thursday evening during our practice at St. Philips a couple of years ago when Dean and myself watched Brian do a wet re-entry and roll. I wasn't sure what I had seen so I asked Dean. Did he just put his skirt on before he rolled back up I asked. Ah ha Dean said. I was left to scratch my head over that one and thought of it often, massively impressed. It was a skill well out of reach for me at the time.

I've gotten the odd re-entry and roll but it was hit or miss so I've been working on it at the pool on Tuesdays. Its now consistent (for the pool) but will need to be tested in realistic conditions.

Tuesday past I thought of Brian's "stunt" and gave it a go. Its such a mind game keeping calm while methodically replacing the skirt around the rim before reaching for the paddle to roll. It went without a hitch. I was stunned, I couldn't believe I had done it.

I felt I crossed a threshold. Everyone has thresholds; this was one of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment