Translate

Monday, November 30, 2009

The life of Brian

Friend Stan paddling along the massive cliffs of Fortune Bay

Friends are people we choose to associate with as opposed to family who we are related to by birth. I have three friends that I've known for over 50 years that I see regularly. That is a gift really to have a bond that has stood the test of time.

Yesterday, November 29, was the sixth anniversary of the death of my friend Brian. Brian was someone I met at the gym and our friendship was primarily limited to the gym. He was someone full of life; always laughing and joking. He and I shared many interests like gardening. He raised chickens and it wasn't unusual to find a frozen chicken in my car once a year. He was the type of person who would bring a bottle of rum to your home, have a couple of drinks and leave the rest at the end of the night.

Six years ago Brian took his own life. The last person on the earth that I would expect that from. It hurt, it hurt a lot, it still hurts.

1 comment:

  1. Tony it sure is grand that you take time to remember. That is a true friend.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete