Translate

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Today I remembered

The tikes of Paradise in the Remembrance parade

I attended Remembrance Day ceremonies today in the Town of Paradise. I had usually watched the ceremonies from the National War Memorial from Ottawa in the past but today I went in person.

A lot of the talk today was about the sacrifices Newfoundland (pre-1949) and Canadian soldiers made for our freedom. I can't get my head around that - freedom in Canada so far away from the wars in Europe. It had a more direct impact on me, however, being born in Holland. Without the undescribeable sacrifices made by Canadian and other Allied soldiers, I would never have seen the light of the earth.

My Uncle Ad was taken to Germany to work as slave labour. "De Moffen" (Dutch term of endearment for the Eastern neighbours) also came for my Dad to be pressed into slave labour but he escaped into the countryside before they arrived.

My parents never spoke of the hardships during the war but my Mother did speak of the Canadian soldiers who lodged with her family when they liberated the City of Tilburg. No wonder so many Dutch people came to Canada after the war.

So, today I remember. I remember how lucky I am and I bow my head in gratitude

Children of Paradise Elementary School lay a wreath

While there were "dignataries" on hand to present speaches with the usual November 11 themes, the poignant parts of the ceremonies for me were the kids. Why? Because a lot of veterans are passing away and its going to be the children of tomorrow who will be left to remember the sacrifices made by the soldiers of today and yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment