Translate

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

She's cooling down

Birch trees, Topsail Pond

Today was my first time at Topsail Pond for a couple of weeks. I'm sure some of the residents must have wondered where "that kayaker" was. I've been pretty regular on Tuesdays at Topsail Pond over the summer.

Strong SE winds meant it was a good chance to practice turning into the wind without waves to contend with. That way I only had to deal with one piece of the puzzle. Even so, I found I needed considerable speed before sweeping and planting the bow rudder to counteract the wind. Otherwise the wind just balanced my attempt to turn by blowing the bow downwind. Making progress though.

Along with the wind it was cold and its really evident where the season is going. 3 degrees C and -3 with the wind chill. I checked the water temp and it stood at 5 C. I found it colder than at some paddles I did with Stan last winter. I'm getting acclimatized for the coming winter.

Dogberries overhang Topsail Pond

The change of season has happened so fast. It seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago the yellow leaves were still on the trees. Now they are completely nude. Here only the red dogberries are left on the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment