Translate

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

On retirement

Clyde crusin' in Aquaforte

Recently Michael in Quebec blogged about ageing and continuing to paddle full bore. He indicated he paddles lots because he had the luxury of not having to go to a regular day job.

I'm in the same boat in that I'm also retired. I think there's a misconception of retirement. That is, ya have all sorts of time to do what ya want. Not true. I'm busier now than when I had to punch the clock. In fact, I don't know where I found the time to work.

I don't see retirement as having paid my dues and being entitled to put my feet up. I see it as an indication that time is getting tight and I'd better get on my horse and get to the bucket list. At 57 I have to be realistic; I don't have 50 more. So, I've made myself busy to a point where I sometimes don't have time to turn around. I need to remind myself - balance Tony.

Oh, I paddle, an embarrassing amount of time. I won't apologize for that; I'm busy playing catch-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment