Translate

Saturday, September 12, 2009

KNL Aquaforte paddle

A gaggle of paddlers

Today Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador had its last club paddle for the year in Aquaforte. We had a fantastic turnout of 40 plus paddlers; its great to see so many people supporting the activities of the club. Thanks to Dan M for leading the paddle. The club wouldn't be able to have these events without experienced, Paddle Canada certified paddlers who are willing to lead.

Aquaforte means strong water but based on the conditions we had today for the paddle I wondered how it came by its name. The conditions were pretty benign today.

Seastack

A seastack and a paddler (Brian) always makes for a great sea kayaking picture, I think.

Waiting to regroup

A group of 40 or so paddlers tends to get strung out as people stop to sight-see, take pictures, rock hop etc. Every now and then the lead paddlers hold up to bring the group back together. It was a beautiful sunny day with practically no wind and no one was in a hurry. Spurwink Island in the background.

Spurwink Arch

After paddling down the south side of Aquaforte Harbour we rounded South Head and we came upon Spurwink Arch. The arch is formed in the tilted beds of the grey to black slates of the St. John's formation. A sea cave would have been pounded out by the sea and when the cave roof fell in the arch was formed.

Spurwink Arch is part of the East Coast Trail that runs down the east coast of the Avalon Peninsula, most of it along the tops of cliffs with a view of the ocean. I haven't hiked this part of the trail but I got a different perspective of the arch today than hikers get.

I am free

Alison was doing a bit of rock hopping and got stuck on a rock after the receding water left her stranded. A bit of squirming, rising swell and she freed herself (all smiles) by the time I got in position to take the picture. Pete thought I was coming to her assistance and I was, just I wanted to get the picture first.

Technicolour beach

40 + kayaks means you're going to get a rainbow of boat colours, from white to Stan's black Nordkapp.

Spout River Falls

After our lunch stop we made a stop at Spout River Falls. There was quite a torrent flowing over the falls which surprised me because its been pretty dry all summer and I would have expected water levels to be much lower.

Most of the group wanted to poke their bows into the falls. The force of the water running out meant ya had to take a run at it and then paddle and brace to stay in the falls.

My turn, my turn

With 40 + paddlers and most wanting a piece of the falls, it got a little congested.

3 comments:

  1. Tony - great shot of the Spurwink Arch. I was finding it hard to pull my camera out of its case at this point, so I am glad you had your camera ready to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure the KNL club is! Of course having the east coast's best paddling helps... Thanks Tony for posting these pics!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. michael, my picture of Spurwink Arch was a bit overexposed as I was shooting into the sun. Tony L has a better picture with full colours on his site www.kayaktherock.com

    Michael, true the east coast has great paddling but anywhere on the water is good isn't it!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete