Translate

Sunday, September 20, 2009

As the world turns

Sunset Conception Bay

At one time the sun revolved around the earth. Its not hard to understand that thinking as I watch the sun set below the horizon. The earth seems so immoveable; the sun just seems to slip across the sky until it disappears.

Copernicus set us right on that. The earth revolves around the sun but that doesn't have anything to do with a sunset. Its of course the rotation of the earth that gives us our sunsets.

When I look at a sunset I get a sense of how fast the earth turns as it takes me away from the stationary sun. Especially after the sun touches the horizon. The last disk full of sun just seems to sprint under the horizon.

Sunsets are beautiful but they make me feel small in this great big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment