Translate

Friday, April 8, 2011

Risky business

Welcome aboard

In the past 16 years there have been five sea kayaking fatalities in Newfoundland waters.

Sea kayaking is inherently a dangerous activity, we know that. We can manage risk first by exercise of good judgment and only paddle in conditions that match our skills. Even on a calm day though there is risk involved. The lower the skill level the higher the risk.

So, what is the answer. Sea kayak courses are one option. Even after that, skills learned must be practiced so they come as natural to us as walking. With this in mind, we've started our regular Thursday evening practices in St. Philips.

A good turnout of eight paddlers on our first evening.

Over and up again

Toby knocks off his first salt water roll as Dean looks on, ready to assist if needed.

Incidentally, this is my 500th post. Wow! I didn't know I had so much (or little *lol*) to say about kayaking.

8 comments:

  1. The lower the skill level the higher the risk
    alas, is not always true. overestimating yourself (skills) can sometime play dirty fatal tricks

    ciao tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Gio, that is a big delusion when people overestimate their own skills. These practices on Thursday evening quickly being to light where reality departs from fantasy.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that one Tony.
    They say you never forget your 1st...
    We'll now I have a picture to refresh my memory.

    Tobie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on Tobie, I'll send you the original shot. That was pretty good but I was really impressed with your patience for the bow assisted rescue. Good on you and Brett for coming out and hope to see you guys regularly over the rest of the season.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tobie: Not sure if you remember but like I said to you last night - "If you can roll in the salt water in April, you can roll anytime!!" Nice to see you well laid back on the deck too!! My first salt water roll was in December - which is about the same as April here in NL!!

    500 hundred posts!!! Time to get a life, Tony!! Nah, we all love living vicariously through your blog. Keep up the good work!!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a point Sean about getting a life, seriously. My life seems to be dominated by my kayak. I may have to start a KA (Kayakers Anonymous) support group!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Dean and I am a Kayakoholic.... I don't think I would join KA. There are much worse things to be addicted to...

    ReplyDelete