Translate

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Winter paddling is catching

In Holyrood a year ago

A year ago today Stan and I had our first winter paddle together. We each had done separate winter paddles before but this was our first together. Other paddlers in Newfoundland have paddled in winter at times so we weren't the first but we are certainly the first to paddle consistently throughout the winter.

This year Stan and I are not alone. Yesterday four of us paddled in St. Philips with snow falling, a true winter's day paddle. I was a dumb ass and left my camera home so I don't have pictures to show for it. But the point is that maybe winter paddling is catching on here as there are almost 10 of us who have ventured out so far this winter.

Stan always has his camera, he never leaves home without it. I'll be sure to take mine every time from now on. If you check out Stan's blog you'll see what picture ops I missed. Here's the link: www.kayakingdreamin.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Tony there were some good pictures at Holyrood that day. This picture reminds me of the good ones you took.
    '
    St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. paddling in Newfoundland in the winter shouldnt be a shock, we've been doing it for 400 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya Stan, we had some very good paddles last year and a few pictures to remember them by. There's usually a few good ones in the lot that I take.

    Abduk, I should have been more specific in that I was referring to recreational kayaking. Inuit have been kayaking in NL since they arrived on the Labrador coast in prehistoric times.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol true enough! When I was a child in trinity bay there were a couple kayakers who were out year round.Unfortunately one of my friends brother went out and was never seen again. No one knows what happened.

    Stay safe
    Abduk

    ReplyDelete