Translate

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The numbers are in

Brian looks on as swell breaks in the Gut

Well the numbers are in for 2009 and the total stands at 115, 115 times in my kayak for the year. The numbers kept growing throughout the year and as the year end got closer I thought maybe I could get to 122. That would have been once for every three days but December weather just didn't cooperate.

It breaks down to 43 day trips, 38 practice paddles in the sea, 32 practice paddles in fresh water and 2 times in the pool.

I did 9 winter paddles. That is, paddles within the winter window but there were more in "winter-like" conditions outside of what the calendar calls winter.

Twenty of the 43 day trips I paddled with Stan but I didn't keep track of how many times I did practice paddles with Stan at St. Philips.

I had 20 paddles in my Necky Looksha IV before I got my Nordkapp on May 2.

There were 4 months when I got 14 paddles in and in January I had the fewest at 2.

Like the commercial says "Having the freedom to paddle when I want, priceless!" Hopefully 2010 will be as fruitful.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive stats! Best wishes for many happy paddles in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,

    I only count paddling on the ocean. By that measure, your number is 81. That's 30 more than me. You just wait 'til I retire, Tony, and we'll see who does more paddling!

    Kidding aside, from 2008 to 2009, I saw a huge improvement in your paddling skills. It's been a big year for you. Better to come in 2010.

    Biggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and wishes. By any standard I've had a productive year. But there is still much to learn and practice. I look at people like yourself Malcolm, and Brian, and realize just how much I still have to learn.

    If all I was doing was paddling around in the pond, then that would be a waste of time for me. However, there are some skills that can better be learned in a pond. There, more time can be spent getting wet before it gets too cold, as opposed to the ocean.

    I think regardless of where you paddle, if you keep learning in that environment, then its useful time in the boat.

    I'm certainly looking forward to 2010 and build on 2009.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive stats Tony. I counted the other day, and I was on the water 19 times in 2009. Oh well, only another 25 yrs or so until I retire :-)

    ReplyDelete