Friday, July 5, 2013

2/3 round the circle by a toad's ass

At the end of our third day we camped on Black Island near the causeway connecting New World Island to Twllingate South Island.  It poured rain overnight and was still wet when we got up to load our kayaks for the return to the shores of New World Island.

The rain had greened everything up.  The other side of Black Island.

At the tip of Black Island we made a short crossing to South Trump Island continuing on alongside ...

... North Trump Island until we caught sight ot Tizzards Harbour.

We considered crossing to Tizzards Harbour but elected to cross straight to the point and the rocks known as the Toadasses.

The Toadasses from the other side.  Whoever named these sure had a great imagination.

Leaving the Toadasses (another opportunity to throw that in *lol*) we paddled across Webber Bight to arrive in Wild Bight.  Camping is an option but because it was still only 10:30ish we proceeded across the Bight in ...

... a stiffening and gusty breeze until we landed in ...

... Mortons Harbour where we conferred about a camping spot.  I got out at Beachy Cove to have a look.  A long grassy meadow entended all the way across to Wild Cove but was now fully exposed to the northeast winds.  We poked into Roses Harbour where we found suitable camping.

Having arrived at Mortons Habour we had been in two of the three named towns in the traditional Newfoundland song "I'se the B'y"  The key lyrics for us are:

"Fogo, Twillingate, Mortons Harbour
All around the circle ..." 

We didn't set up the tents though as we wanted to see what Mortons Harbour had to offer.  Turns out not much but we did replenish our water supplies with clear spring well water thanks to Louanne.

We decided to return to Roses Harbour to camp.  While we dallied in Mortons Harbour the wind had increased and pushed masses of water out of the North Atlantic and into the narrow constricted harbour.  The result was a 2 kilometer paddle into 1.5 - 2.0 meter waves and 20 knot winds.

We were happy to get into Roses Harbour and set up the tents under the trees in a wooded area.

Our kitchen area.

The sun made an effort to break through the dreary clouds.  While not sustained sunshine, we could feel the warmth of the sun that helped dry our gear somewhat.

Looking out our protected home for the night.

The forecast for the next day was a strong wind out of the northeast.  It would make paddling the north shore beyond Mortons Harbour Head and along Pomley Cove, Chockin Cove and Bladney Rock dicey.  We decided on rising at first light to get around before the wind picked up.  A 4:30 rise meant an early fire and an early bedtime.

The distance from Black Island to Mortons Harbour paddled on the day was 23 kms.  Here's the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment