Translate

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A matter of control

Looking out at the world

I admit it, I am a control freak.

I sense it particularly now. I seeded grass on Sunday and yesterday it was windy. Some of the grass seed was blowing around. It was hard to look at. It was something I just couldn't control.

I got to thinking about kayak practice. Was it that I practice because I like to practice or that I have to be "in control" of my kayak? Probably a bit of both.

Usually in confused seas I just the the boat go but there are times when I absolutely must maintain control. A light went on! When things get confused on the ocean, control must be exercised over both the kayak and the mind. It is imperative to maintain control over the mind when everything is out of control around me. And, so I can't control the wind or the grass seed blowing around but I can control my mind to accept my loss of control.

2 comments:

  1. "I can't control the wind or the grass seed blowing around but I can control my mind to accept my loss of control." And in so doing, we regain that measure of "necessary" control. Nicely put, Tony. D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't now how I came up with that Duncan and Joan but it just fell out as I was posting. Sometimes I find it therapeutic to write or talk things out.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete