Translate

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Are you experienced?

Pete in the foam

Good judgement and experience are two key tools we use for kayaking safety. Experience builds both paddling skills and good judgement.

We're coming up on the anniversary of an adventure a group of us had Remembrance Day of last year. In a nutshell, I planned on staying close in the cove at St. Philips and did not check the weather forecast. Without giving thought to the possibility the weather could change we paddled away from the cove and got caught 5 kms away in Topsail in a howling wind and driving snow squalls. We got off the water safely but re-uniting with our vehicles was an inconvenience. It was a lesson learned.

In an on-line article at Seakayker Magazine for October 2010, Tsunami Ranger Michael Powers describes a harrowing experience he had lost at sea in a thick fog and by himself. I was surprised at the poor decision making given his obvious ability and experience. Its something I'd expect from someone totally inexperienced. After reading it I forgave myself the mistake I made last year because if Michael Powers can make a gaffe like that then anyone can. I take my hat off to him though for recounting the escapade for the benefit of paddlers everywhere.

Most of us make mistakes. The key is not to repeat them, to do so means experience counts for nothing.

3 comments:

  1. God these pics make me homesick.Mere months and Im moving back to st.johns.cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Newfoundlander wants to come home! Home for good Lee?

    You'll have to come out with us on our winter paddles.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes tony home for a few years anyway I'm posted in as a range safety officer from what I've been hearing. based out of St.Johns. I will guarentee you'll see me out on a icepan somewhere!

    ReplyDelete