Translate

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Why I practice?

Brian and Dean inside the cove

The wind was forecast to blow at 40 kms/hr with gusts to 60. So, five of us met at St. Philips to practice paddling in the wind and waves. When we got there we were greeted by numerous whitecaps and wind at a constant 45 (as measured at the Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club I found out after).

We don't generally paddle in those kinds of conditions on purpose for a day paddle unless you're in the mood for a slog. Why practice then?

Around here the weather can change in no time. What might start off as a calm day on the water can turn into a challenge at the drop of a hat. When that happens, I don't want to learn to deal with the conditions for the first time. By spending time in wind and waves in controlled conditions, when I'm caught in it for real, I'll already know what it feels like with no need to panic.

Brian and Dean exposed

St Philips is a cove on the east side of Conception Bay. With the prevailing southwest winds it allows paddlers to experience conditions at their own comfort level. Stay inside of the point of land on the left and get less sea state; paddle out past the point and face the full force of the wind that with a fetch of 30 or more kilometres creates some challenging conditions.

Stan paddling into the open

Out past the protection of the point the waves were close to 2 metres high. We'd paddle out so far, turn and surf back into the cove. It was impressive once ya got turned around for the surf ride in. As the waves passed under the boat it left ya on what looked like a mountain of water with the trough close to 2 metres below the bow.

Brain catching some surf rides

The wind created waves of 1 metre to 2 metres out in the open. At times Brian, Dean and Stan would disapper in the waves completely. The 1 metre waves inside the cove seemed to give better surf rides.

Brian test driving my Nordkapp

After paddling around for a couple of hours I asked Brian if he'd like to test drive my Nordkapp for a bit. So we exchanged boats and I got in his strip built boat. The conclusion? Brian agreed with me that the Nordkapp was harder to turn into the wind than his, good stability and great to surf. My conclusion on his - though not set up for me (foot and thigh braces) there is much to admire about his kayak. It turns on a dime even without edging, the bow is lower and therefore doesn't catch the wind like the Nordkapp and paddles at good speed.

2 comments:

  1. Nordkapps weathercock markedly. If you paddle forward, the boat turns upwind all on its own. It isn't hard. If you want to turn a Nordkapp (or any other kayak) upwind smartly, paddle forward, sweep on the downwind side, then do a bow rudder on the upwind side while tilting the hull downwind. (The bow rudder acts as a brace preventing a capsize downwind.) Of course, none of this works if the skeg is down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Malcolm, I understand the theory but I have to say, its just not happenning for me. My Necky Looksha weathercocked much more so. I can paddle the Nordkapp forward like a SOB with wind on the beam and still need a few sweep - bow rudder combinations to get it turned upwind. Maybe I need to be more patient?

    But, its a pure joy to paddle in bigger water.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete