Translate

Friday, August 14, 2009

Too much of a good thing?

Neville in Bell Island sunset

Thursday evening practice at St. Philips was the first time I've been in the boat in a week. That's the first time I've gone a week like that since April.

I've had a great paddling season so far, so much so, dare I say it, I just had enough and needed a break. A lot of time in the boat coupled with a busy day-to-day agenda has run the batteries down so some downtime was needed.

That raises the question: can you have too much of a good thing? I remember getting an allowance of 25 cents as a child. That bought a softdrink, bag of potato chips and a chocolate bar once a week. Contrast that with today when kids drink pop like water. I looked forward to my weekly treat whereas today I doubt kids see these things as "treats".

After a week, Thursday evening at St. Philips was a treat as was the setting sun. Its a fine balancing act - spending enough time in the boat to improve and still enjoy the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment