Translate

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Table for one

Arrived Bell Island

I couldn't make Thursday evening practice so I had to get my Thursday fix another way.

Bell Island is a 5+ kms crossing from St. Philips. Today it was shrouded in fog and I knew what I could do. I calculated a heading and went to St. Philips to cross in the fog. Unfortunately, by the time I got lunch ready, the boat on the car and drive to the put-in, the fog had lifted.

No matter, I just paddled by compass, not looking at my destination just to simulate as if it was foggy. Almost 40 minutes later I arrived at Dominion Pier and had lunch. I had the beach to myself.

My first trip across solo, I was right satisfied. I took my time going back, did a few rolls to cool off and checked off another day on the water.

5 comments:

  1. excellent! Another slightly higher level achieved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean, as you know its not a long crossing but still I felt a sense of accomplishment. With the sea state and wind (none) today I could easily crossed a much bigger distance.

    When you think of it, a successful solo crossing is the same as with other paddlers without incident.

    Tony ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My longest solo crossing was across trinity bay. I was extremely hungover puking every fw strokes and urging when I had nothing else left. I learned two things.
    -Puffins loved my company and free food.
    -a bag of cheap wine is NEVER a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sizeable crossing Lee under pretty terrible circumstances. Obviously the decision to go was made during the celebrations beforehand *lol*

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete