Translate

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Patience is a virtue

Waiting ... waiting ... waiting

Rock hopping and squeezing through narrow passageways is fun but it requires patience. Something that I lack at times. This past March I tried to paddle through some rocks with swell rushing in and receding. I didn't stop to watch what the swell was doing and dashed right in. I didn't get through before the water sucked out of the hole and exposed the rocks lurking under the water. I came up on one rock before the next surge of water knocked me over.

Once bitten, twice shy. I now take my time to watch what the water is doing, look for hidden rocks and evaluate how much time there is to paddle through.

That's important because there may be situations when fellow paddlers may not be able to come for a rescue. Also, consideration should be given to the risk of putting other paddlers in harms way should a rescue be necessary.

A little patience make it fun and safe for everyone in the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment