Translate

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Digital Selective Calling

Who ya gonna call?

Everything related to kayaking must be beta tested for functionality. Today, I tested the accessibility to the DSC button with neoprene mitts.

Last year I bought a VHF radio because its a desirable piece of safety equipment. I bought a Standard Horizon HX850S radio. Its waterproof, floats and is DSC enabled. DSC is a semi-automated method of making an emergency distress call.

I obtained a Maritime Mobil Service Identity number from Industry Canada and that number, input to the unit, is linked to my personal information I supplied with the MMSI application.

By pressing a button under the red flap an emergency call is issued on channel 70. Bare-handed lifting the flap is not an issue. However, with neoprene mitts on its another matter; its just not possible. Its important to know that and have a plan before an emergency call has to be made. Removing a mitt in icy, cold water may involve other safety issues such a loss of dexterity.

I'll be attaching something like a letter opener to be able to pry open the flap when I'm wearing my mitts.

3 comments:

  1. Tony:

    Is there a way you can attach a lanyard or string to the red cover. Just pull the string to open the cover. Maybe put something on the end of the string - a ball or toggle - to make it easier to grab?

    Having not seen the unit, I can't say if this is possible but it may be something to consider!

    Sean (the tinkerer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tony, here in the west coast of Scotland, we are often out of VHF reception range never mind transmission range. I would not care to rely on DSC as my primary distress beacon. I have a gps epirb which sends your identity and position via satellite for a continuous 24/48 hours depending on the model. Another advantage is your epirb battery is always fully charged unlike your vhf radio. I also have a standard horizon radio and I can assure you that accessing the two buttons under the flap of my acr epirb is much easier. In the UK a number of coastguards recommend an epirb rather than a dsc handheld.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for your suggestions and comments. Douglas, there seems to be no end to the equipment we should buy to kayak.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete