Translate

Friday, July 31, 2009

Sabine Hatch

Here lies Sabine Hatch

After Stan and I stopped for lunch we paddled to the resettled community of Anderson's Cove and underway Stan saw this lone gravestone in Lobster Cove. I got out to look.

I read the gravestone which read "In loving memory of Sabine, beloved wife of Thomas Hatch, who died Aug. 26th 1890, aged 36 years"

The gravestone was clearly not 119 years old. Someone had placed this marker in recent years. I found that remarkable; this woman clearly had left a lasting impression on someone after all those years.

There's no community listed in the 1921 Newfoundland census for Lobster Cove. But there is a John Hatch listed for Stone's Cove who was born in 1880 and he had a daughter Sabina who was born in 1903. Could it be that John was a nephew of Sabine and remembered his Aunt by naming his daughter after her? Was the memory of Sabine handed down through her?

What does this mean to me as I'm not related? It makes me wonder how she lived to be remembered so. It makes me wonder am I living my life such that someone 120 years from now would even give me a thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment