Translate

Monday, July 6, 2009

Rock hopping

Brian emerges from the rocks and surf

The end of our paddle on Saturday was a paddle along the shore from Tors Cove to Mobile Bay. Pete and Brian did a bit of rock hopping with waves crashing all about.

I was tempted but don't have the skills yet of these guys and I accept that. That is where I had to exercise restraint so I avoided the tight spots but went through where I felt confident I could manage. Often times paddlers take on conditions above their abilities for different reasons. Pride, desire for acceptance etc.

The danger Saturday was being caught by a wave and being ridden up on the rocks. I watched Pete and Brian carefully and learned. The keys as I saw it was timing - hang back, watch for a bit to get the timing of the waves and paddle hard between waves; keep hips loose; good bracing and be prepared to roll.

I'll be looking for a place and conditions that I can handle and incrementally seek out more challenging conditions. And, practice in the soup of the surf zone. So much still to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment