Translate

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Remembering

Toasting the memory of Danny

On Saturday Sherry and I attended the wedding reception of John and Dani Feltham in Glovertown. John is the son of our friends Danny and Joan. Danny passed away in March 2000 at 42 years of age from pancreatic cancer. Prior to the wedding we stopped at the cemetary to raise a glass of wine in memory of Danny.

Danny was full of life, he had dreams - grand dreams. Some of them were coming to fruition when he was diagnosed, others will remain dreams. He left a lot of life on the table whan he passed and I thought back to all the things I squeezed in in the intervening years that I wouldn't have been able had it been me.

I proposed the toast at the gravesite. Why? Partly to remember Danny in a visible way and partly to remind myself to live life in the present. Carpe diem, sieze the day I suppose. Sometimes its easy to forget to live by that tenet. Whether its kayaking or any other activity, do it while you can. The weather may not be perfect today for a paddle but as long as its safe I will go. I might not be given the opportunity tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me Danny.

1 comment: