Translate

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Theory of wealth

Looking down into Marysvale

There's a fault that runs through Marysvale, it runs directly down the center between the two hills. The fault is an area of weakness that has allowed the rocks on either side to erode faster than rocks farther from the fault, therefore the valley formed.

Marysvale also has been explored for manganese. An exploratory pit was sunk in the hill to the left. The rocks were found to contain between 5 and 10% manganese; apparently either not rich enough or not enough mineralization in the host rock that it could be mined for profit.

Wealth is from an old English word "weal" which was originally an adjective used to describe possession of great qualities. Today of course its meaning is not related to quality but to quantity. The more the better, especially if its money. But how much is enough? Enough to buy food and shelter? Enough to buy a 30 foot cabin cruiser versus a 17 foot kayak? Who would have a better view of Marysvale?

Like the manganese in Marysvale, for me, wealth is not measured in quantity but in quality. And, like the fault that runs through Marysvale, is it a fault of society that we place such high value in quantity? There are some things money can't buy and I had one of those things out with Stan for a paddle in Colliers Bay this past week.

Tony :-)

2 comments:

  1. Dido Tony, I love your insight. I certainly didn't see the fault. It never ceases to amaze me how much one misses during their travels through anywhere I guess.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about the fault running thru Marysvale from a Geological Survey of Canada puplication which(surprise)I have! It would be impossible to tell from kayak level that its there. I have to research more for our trips so that I can point these things out while we're out there.

    Sometimes these thoughts just come out of nowhere!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete