Translate

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Theory of patience

Cover of LP "Recall the beginning ... a journey from Eden" by the Steve Miller Band

I bought this record back in, I think, 1972. I can't be certain as you'll understand, 1972 was a long time ago. I bought the record before the hit single "the Joker", in other words I didn't get turned on to Steve Miller Band because he got on Top-40 radio. I bought the record after working with friend Scott Stoyles who had seen him perform in San Francisco.

Its one of my favourite LPs. It just hit a chord (pardon the pun) with me. Today, I still have my turntable but I thought wouldn't it be great to have this on CD. Fast forward to today's technology that lets me rip it to CD. Fantastic, still has a little crackle and pop and that warm feeling but the convenience of slipping it into the CD player.

Out of curiosity, I googled Steve Miller and I read that he's the godson of the father of the Les Paul electric guitar - Les Paul (!). Les Paul taught him his first chords at the age of 5 in 1948. That was 24 years before he recorded said LP at age 29.

I've been trying to learn the guitar for about 4 years now and progress is slow but I put time in every day. At the age of Freedom 55 +, I don't expect to become a guitar god but I thought I'd be able to play a few more tunes than I do now. But 24 years is a long time and if I have patience, I just might get there.

Tony :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment